Dignity Volunteers Network
“Money is not the only commodity that we can give. We can give time, we can give our expertise, we can give our love or simply give a smile. What does that cost? The point is, none of us can ever run out of something worthwhile to give.”
– Steve Goodier.
Want to give back to the community by sharing your expertise?
Interested in developing new skills to support people who are nearing the end of their life, or their families and loved ones?
Dignity Volunteers Network is one of our most ambitious initiatives which aims to bring together a network of volunteers from across a broad range of backgrounds to support others who are planning for, or nearing the end of their life, or the end of the life of someone they love.
Dignity Network values all of our Volunteers, no matter what your background experience or expertise.
Many of our service offerings will be provided directly by our empathetic, caring and compassionate Volunteers. Alternatively, you can get involved behind the scenes supporting other members who are directly providing our services.
You don’t have to have any previous experience in supporting people at end-of-life. You may like to use your existing background professional skills and expertise for Dignity Network (for example, accounting, admin, journalism, relationship mediation, languages, event management, IT, social media).
Alternatively, you may be interesting in undertaking some training and developing new skills such as deep listening and simply learning how to offer your presence to sit with a person who is dying in a busy hospital ward or aged care facility, so that they don’t die alone.
If you feel there is something deep inside you that is calling you to work in this space, Dignity Network may be what you are looking for.
At Dignity Network, we understand that the people working at the front line of providing care are the gold in the healthcare system.
Like our Health Professionals, all of our Volunteers are Supporting Members of the company and will have an elected representative on the Dignity Network Board, which means you have a seat at the decision-making table and have a say in how the organisation operates.
We believe this creates a different workplace culture to other more traditional healthcare workplaces; one where Dignity Network members (our volunteers) have the power to create a workplace:
- where you want to work
- where you feel that your expertise is truly valued
- where you are fully supported to truly focus on what’s most important to you – the quality of care and support services that you are providing.
For more detailed information about our company structure, please see our Governance section.
Interested in Joining Us?
- You don’t need to leave your current job or get permission from your current employer or be retired to join Dignity Network
Joining us is like joining any other membership based organisation.
- You don’t have to subscribe to any specific view on dying and what happens at end-of-life to join us and volunteer with us
We respect all person’s right to hold their own individual views on this, and insist only that our members commit to respecting this principle in all aspects of their work with Dignity Network.
- We value an inclusive culture; you can be any age, gender, race or identify with any sexual orientation, ethnic or cultural group or religious beliefs
We don’t discriminate and we genuinely value diversity.
- We genuinely care about our people as individuals and commit to doing all we can to ensure our members thrive. This way we can keep providing outstanding services to those who are preparing for or nearing the end of their life, and for their loved ones.
- We aim to support our volunteers with generous professional development opportunities.
- As our network grows over time, we aim to have more and more volunteers actively involved in providing services or in support roles wherever communities want our services.
Still have questions about joining us? Call us or email us today to get in touch with someone from our management team Contact Us.
If you are interested in joining us and wish to become a Supporting Member of Dignity Network, please express your interest by completing the form below.